Every Wednesday, at midnight, a new prompt will be posted. This prompt may consist of a sentence, a paragraph, a single word or list of words, a single phrase or list of phrases, or any combination of the above. The weekly prompt is designed to be the basis for a work of original writing, fiction or non-fiction. For example, if the week's prompt is
"She was sure that this time was really going to be the last"; sand, silver, snow; pay the ferryman
then writers should incorporate the prompt into their work somehow, whether by using it as the theme for the piece or including the prompt, verbatim, in their piece.
Writers will have 7 days, including the date that the prompt is posted, to write and post their original works. Feel free to post anything (short story, essay, fiction, non-fiction, poem, song, etc...).
Rules & Guidelines:
1. Every post must have a subject. The subject must include the prompt number and the title, according to the author.
2. Every post should be tagged with the prompt number and the author's username, for example: prompt 1, user:thetruefalse. Existing tags can be found here. If you don't have a tag yet, you can request one by commenting on the welcome post.
3. There is no length requirement or limit, but if readers will have to scroll to see your whole piece, please be courteous of other writers' f-lists and use a cut.
4. COMMENT! It's not necessary to comment on every post, but once in a while it's nice to provide feedback to your fellow writers. If you absolutely hate something, it's okay to say so...but make sure that you include something constructive along with your comments.
5. If your piece contains explicit content, please place it behind a cut and make sure that you let everyone know the exact nature of the explicit content (i.e. sex, drug use, violence, etc...).
Monthly Writing Contest
If you're not crazy about the idea of writing something new every week, that's fine. Beginning on January 1, 2009, a new feature will be coming to the community: a Monthly Writing Contest. Unlike the weekly prompts, however, there are specific contest rules that must be followed:
New Member Protocol
After reading all of that, you may be feeling a little overwhelmed. Don't be! In order to break the ice, introduce yourself by commenting on the welcome post using the following, or by coming up with something of your own (because not everyone fits on a form):
What do you write?
Are you hoping to gain anything from joining this community?
Anything else we should know about you?